Anchor / Journalist /Reporter - YFM, Johannesburg
Job Title: Anchor / Journalist /Reporter
Reports to: News Editor and/or anyone as appointed by the MD.
No. of employees reporting into role: N/a
Job Purpose: The core purpose of an Anchor / Journalist /Reporter is to source, research, document, write, and present the news in an honest, ethical, and unbiased way. This role will be responsible for coaching and training all other junior staff within the news room. As an Anchor this role would require you to present the news professionally on-air.
Major Accountabilities – Key Performance Areas:
- Source and Generate News worthy content for broadcast.
- Present news on-air flawlessly and without errors.
- Exercising Editorial Judgment and advising and coaching News Team.
- Keep abreast with all current global and local affairs, which will include: Entertainment, sport, currents affairs, community etc.
- Generate Ideas for Features and/or other.
Key Performance Indicators
Performance will only be satisfactory when the following KPI’s are achieved:
- Follow editorial guidelines i.e. exclusive pieces, KYS and voicers.
- Generating ideas for stories and features and following leads from news agencies, the police, the public, press conference and other sources.
- Pitching Ideas to the editor.
- Researching and collating evidence and information to support a story using relevant information sources such as the internet, archives’, databases, etc.
- Writing and editing Scripts for bulletins, headlines and reports.
- Exercising editorial judgment on the best angle to approach story from.
- Preparing and presenting material “on-air” for both pre-recorded and live pieces.
- Identifying potential interviewees, briefing them, preparing interview questions and conducting both live and recorded interviews.
- Deciding on the running order for bulletins and making any necessary changes during broadcast.
- Developing and maintaining local and contacts and assuming a public relation role.
- Conduct field reporting which will require travelling.
- Ensure that the attached requirements are constantly and consistently met without error and maintaining professionalism at all times.
- Keep abreast with all breaking news both global and local.
- Managing News Desk as and when required.
- Carry out any other reasonable task as instructed by manager and/or MD.
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree and/or Diploma in Journalism.
+ 3 Years’ experience as a Journalist / Reporter preferably from a radio medium.
+ 2 Years’ experience in researching and editing.
At least 1 years’ experience on publishing content on various digital platforms.
Excellent Verbal and written communication skills.
Must be proficient and highly Knowledgeable on Editorial laws.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Analytical and Detail Orientation
- Strong Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Written and Verbal Communication
- Excellent Interviewing Skills
- Highly Knowledgeable on Editorial Laws
- Solutions and Ideas Driven
Values and Behaviours:
- Deadline driven
- Must be able to multitask
- Quality focus on delivered work
- Innovative and Creative
- Self-motivated and energetic
- Passionate and tenacious
Specific Professional Competencies:
- Able to cut sound and place calls
- Proficiency with newsroom system
- Excellent Mic technique
- Conduct out and in studio interviews
- Team player
- Couching and mentoring all junior staff
- Must have own vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Must be willing to travel as and when required
- This position will require that you be available 24/7 pending requirements of job and business requirements.
- This position will be shift based and assigned accordingly by the News Editor.
DEADLINE DATE: 27 NOVEMBER 2019