10 Things You Didn’t Know About DJ Black Coffee
This week the inspirational DJ chats with to Nicky Greenwall on Screentime.
Dj Black Coffee has been on the South African music scene for over ten years but only got his break-though a few years ago. This week he chats to Nicky Greenwall on Screentime. Here are 10 interesting facts about the successful DJ/Producer and truly inspirational guy.
1. DJ Black Coffee’s real name is Nkosinathi Maphumulo and he turned 37 on 11 March.
2. Unfortunately for the ladies, he married beautiful actress Mbali Mlotswa on 13 May 2011. Mbali played Puleng on the award-winning TV show, 4Play: Sex Tips for Girls.
3. He started his career back in 1994 when he was still in High School, singing in the school choir and studying the keyboard.
4. While studying Music at Natal Technikon, he developed his skill and formed the band ‘Shana’ going on to release 4 albums.
5. In 2003 he was chosen as one of two South African participants in the Red Bull Music Academy, which jump-started his career in the SA music DJ scene.
6. He scooped a South African Music Award (SAMA) at the 16th Annual SAMA Awards in 2006 for the Best Urban Dance Album, Home Brewed.
7. He lost the use of his left arm at age 13. While celebrating the release of Nelson Mandela a speeding vehicle ran over the crowd, injuring him.
8. He set a world record for the longest DJ set (60 hours) using one arm in 2010.
9. In 2009 he announced that 5% of all the album sales from his record label, Soulistic Music, would be donated to charity.
10. One of Black Coffee’s most inspirational moves was when he established a foundation called DJ Black Coffee Foundation, uplifting and assisting people with disabilities.
Check out our DJ Black Coffee gallery by clicking here.
Listen to his hit, Superman below:Print