#ImbewuTheSeed: 7 Questions with Kaylin Soobramanian
We asked the actor who plays Thu Sheleni on Imbewu: The Seed a few interesting questions about himself.
1. Where are you from?
I grew up in Inanda, eBhambayi in KwaZulu-Natal, which is where I learnt to speak isiZulu.
2. How exactly did you learn to speak isiZulu?
Bhambayi is a Zulu speaking area. My friends taught me how to speak the language. They told me that I can’t be friends with them if I don’t speak isiZulu.
3. How did you land the role of Thu Sheleni?
One of the directors was looking for an Indian who speaks fluent isiZulu and I happened to fit the profile. They recorded me and also transported me to audition. Although I was scared, I got the role.
4. What are you currently doing when you’re not on set?
I’m still in school. I’m a grade 10 learner at Westham Secondary School. Balancing acting with schoolwork is very hard but I have the support from my school mates and teachers.
5. How has your life changed since you landed the role of Thu Sheleni?
A lot! I used to be able to walk around in the street with my friends with no hassles. Nowadays people recognise me, ask questions and they scream! They also ask me to speak so they can tell it’s really me.
6. Do you watch yourself onscreen?
Unfortunately I can’t watch the show at the moment because there’s no TV where I’m visiting. Otherwise I enjoy watching myself onscreen.
7. What can viewers look forward to with regards to Thu Sheleni’s storyline in Imbewu: The Seed?
Thu Sheleni is going to date Nomusa and he’s also going to discover that Nirupa Rampersad is his aunt.
WATCH: This week on Imbewu: The Seed